Week 1 | John 1-2
Introduction to John
Week 1 Day 1: John 1:1-18
Week 1 Day 2: John 1:19-34
Week 1 Day 3: John 1:35-51
Week 1 Day 4: John 2:1-12
Week 1 Day 5: John 2:13-25
DAY 1: John 1:1-18
Stories: Introduction of Jesus and John the Baptist
Curiosities: The Word, the Light, the world did not receive Him
Paradoxes: Word was WITH God and WAS God
DAY 2: John 1:19-34
Stories: John the Baptist
Curiosities: Elijah, the Prophet, Who are you?
Paradoxes: Says he’s not Elijah, but Jesus said he was!
John said he didn’t know Jesus, but they were cousins. What did he mean?
DAY 3: John 1:35-51
Stories: Andrew, Simon, Phillip & Nathanael
1) Why did Jesus rename Simon?
2) Why did Nathanael say nothing good can come from Nazareth?
3) Nathanael will see the angels ascending & descending – just like Jacob
DAY 4: John 2:1-12
Stories: Water to wine
1) Why did Mary tell Jesus to do something?
2) Why did Jesus make the wine really good? What was the meaning of “saving the best for last?”
Paradoxes: “It is not my time,” yet Jesus did the miracle anyway
DAY 5: John 2:13-25
Stories: The Sign of the Messiah (clearing the temple)
1) Same as the other gospels’ later cleansing, or another one early in His ministry?
2) “would not entrust himself to them…” – Jesus did not minister to people because they liked him, but because His Father had called Him to do it and knew His purpose. He drew His energy and purpose from God, not people – this is why so many ministers fizzle out because they get into the rut of working for people instead of for God.
Paradoxes: Destroy the Temple and raise it in three days?